Friday, November 1, 2019

NOT NOW! It’s too soon for Christmas!

     I KNOW! Christmas is almost two months away, but if you have a family or a community you want to impact with the gospel of Jesus this Christmas, it is not too soon. In fact, you will find yourself behind if you do not take a little time this week to calendar and plan the season.
     WHY?? Because the closer we get to Thanksgiving the busier we become. I have always found if I put family plans on my calendar the first week of November I could relax and enjoy the holiday myself because each morning when I woke up, I had a plan of what to share with my children.
     SO!! It is not too early to write down: 1) what scriptures you will share each morning; 2) special nights when you will share portions of the Christmas story; 3) community events you want to attend; 4) and things you want to share with friends. Once your Christmas plan is in place you can sit back and know each day of December will become the special time you really desire: full of faith and full of meaning.
     TO START.... The season of Advent (building anticipation and meaning into the meaning of Christmas morning) begins the Sunday after Christmas. This year (2019) that occurs late, December 1. Beginning on this day, and daily until Christmas enter into your personal calendar a Bible verse to read personally which will also be shared with others. I have put ideas you can use on my website under a tab “Advent this year.”
     EACH WEEK on of Bible readings on my calendar is designed with a theme. Because I have worked with children for so long, I designed my plan with ideas they can understand (concrete understanding), a series of weekly themes which tells the story of Jesus. These include: 1) Prophecy; 2) The Journey of Joseph & Mary; 3) The Shepherds; 4) The Magi. Other more symbolic themes can be found on-line.
     SHARE: the book: Advent Journeys, with a reading each day to enhance the season. I have been amazed as people shared with me the blessing they found in reading this book. Several non-believers and skeptics were given this book, were captured by the first chapter and read the book, discovering for the first time the real meaning of the Christmas story. If you read the book last year, you know how this happened for them. Please pray about who would benefit by reading Advent Journeys … and then order copies (so you will have them to give to friends on Thanksgiving Day). When you Advent Journeys to others as a gift, you will reap the blessing of having them share from their perspectives the discoveries and joys they receive from the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment