Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Health

   Today I celebrate health. I am currently caring for a relative who has lost his health, and can not enjoy life as I do. This relative used to climb the mountains, and enjoy the outdoors, before a fall. Now he is confined to bed. On good days he can communicate with people, watch movies (we watched Free Solo together the other night), and do some work on his computer. On bad days … I will not get into that.
Today's walk = 4 miles each way.
I was inspired to climb to the top of Mount Carbon
and look at Bear Creek Lake 1,000 feet below.
   This week, I have received calls from another friend. He used to be a construction foreman, who was dedicated to his work, maybe too dedicated. He ignored the flu, and continued to work while in his early 50’s. It turned into pneumonia, then congestive heart disease. Because of health problems, he lost his job … and is now in a power assisted wheelchair. This week he went into a nursing home.
Helicopter landing at Swedish Medical Center
   Each week, sometimes daily, I hear of people who lose their health. This week it was a man who has shingles. Last week it was someone diagnosed with dementia. A woman once told me she has five gentlemen who call on her daily: Charlie Horse, Ben Gay, Arthur Itus, Vertie Ghoe, and Rudi Tysim. Good health is a blessing.
Snow at Swedish Medical Center
   Poor health is not a respecter of age. It can strike anyone at any time. We are entering the flu season. I know people who have bad allergies, migraine headaches, and other ailments. Young and old alike have their bad days.
Road block where I should have come out of a 2 mile trail
The road is 50 feet away! I had to retrace my steps. 
Sometimes life gives us unexpected dead ends...
   I talk to many who say they have continual problems. These people can count them for you … and in the process, even help you feel as bad as they do. Often they do not look bad, or act like the problems affect them. I suspect, some of them are actually feeling good when they are complaining of poor health. I know, they are just making conversation. Let us count the good days, and give thanks.
Because of the dead end,
I was able to enjoy this duck pond ... not once,
but twice, and the rest of the trail also.
Each day, we should celebrate our health as a gift, and not take it for granted or squander our well being. I admire those who stay healthy to 90, or even 100. I hope to be one of them. I feel fortunate I can exercise (some cannot), and seek to eat right (with some latitude for ice cream and other sweets). Life is good to me, and for that I am thankful.
Life can be good ... even when the unexpected happens,
If we look to God and count our blessings!
   If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
   For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
   How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment