Saturday, November 16, 2019

Church ??? … ! YES

We live in a generation where religious gatherings are either neglected or put down. The thought of this is very sad. My life has been enriched through attendance, not just in worship services, but also in Sunday School (Bible Study, Small Groups, Life groups, cell groups, home groups … the names are endless … because people are trying to make it attractive, but if we would only understand what it is … we would be thankful and attend!)
Before I go too far, I need to say, it really doesn’t matter what brand of religion you prefer. Some are Christians, some Jewish, some Islamic, Hindu, Buddhist, Bahai, or some other faith. Some are liberal, some fundamentalist, conservative, neo-orthodox, Chasidic, or some other label. What I am saying is that we should not just look on from afar, or attend sporadically … we should go often so we can be part of the community.
Religion at its best makes people better. Each faith has a book. The Jewish Bible is over 3,500 years old, and still read daily by millions of people. (What New York Times bestseller can claim that!) The Christian Bible, which adds the New Testament (and maybe the Apocrypha) to the Jewish Bible has consistently topped the best seller list, and is published in almost every language of the world!
Why would that many people read a book?? There must be something worthwhile in it! The Bible is even quoted - often - by people who claim not to believe it! I am thankful for the words of wisdom contained in the Bible.
I am thankful for the teachings of my church. As I said, there are many different faiths. You should be thankful for the teachings of your religious group … if not, you should find a group where the teachings will enhance your life. In the United States (and many other countries) we enjoy freedom of religion. That means we can choose. Don’t get stuck somewhere you are unhappy and unfulfilled.
The worship service of churches includes prayer (should always be foremost), music, and teaching. This is often in a large group. People enter … and exit … and often do not meet anyone. That is sad. One of the reasons we meet together is to encourage one another. If we don’t talk to each-other, we fail at that!
I personally support Sunday School (or small groups), because the ‘home church’ is less formal. There is a teacher (or two or three), who guides the study, but optimally, anyone can speak and share an opinion … and not get put down. The small group is for learning. Discussing is part of learning. It is also for fellowship. I am thankful for the fellowship … and friends I have in Sunday School. Some are lifelong, and I would have been robbed of the friendship if I had not attended. My Sunday School friends are my most active supporters in times of need .... and I hope I am active in supporting them. I am thankful for Sunday School. Are you?

The Bible says, “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”

No comments:

Post a Comment