Monday, November 18, 2019

Colorado

   Recently I have been in Colorado. I have been thankful that most days the weather is nice. The beautiful weather enables me to enjoy the outdoors. I am thankful I have two feet (some people do not … and I get reminded that sometimes, when a person is injured their feet are useless … Be thankful if you can walk! Be thankful if you can jog or run!)
Bear Creek Trail
   I get out and walk every day i can. Sometimes it is just in the neighborhood. Denver has beautiful walkways where I can take an off the road, along a stream stroll. I have enjoyed walking along small streams that run close to the condo where i am staying.
The Platte River
   On cooler days, I have walked along the Platte River. There are great walkways on both sides. The water is clear, and has been reworked to run through chutes. Boaters float through these obstructions (or walk their boats around), which prevent erosion. I need to think about how to put these in my creek at home.
Golden Colorado below South Table Mountain
   One day I went to hike on South Table Mountain. The climb is steep, but short. The view is worth the effort. There is a rock Mesa at the top. A restaurant used to sit on the top, but not any more. The 49 steps remain, and are fun to walk up. There is a great view of Lookout Mountain and of Golden.
South Table Mountain above the Coors Plant
The rock outcropping sits above the Coors plant along Clear Creek. I took time to visit the bottom, and see the Geese swimming in formation in the park close-by.
Lake Harriman with snow
   Many mornings, I enjoy the ducks at Lake Harriman, which is just over a mile from the Condo. I have walked to this park when the weather is warm, and when there is snow on the ground. The ducks are always there, and the mountains are always in the background.
Atop Mt. Falcon with Bear Creek Lake and Marston Lake beyond
   One day I was challenged to climb Falcon Peak. I went to Lake Harriman to ask where it is. No one (even a water department employee who works there every day) knew where it was. I climbed the mountain, and looked down on Lake Harriman. Now, I know where it is. I enjoy connecting things. The climb, and the scenery are beautiful. I am thankful.
View from Green Mountain to South Table and beyond
   I also climbed Green Mountain, which is between Lake Harriman and South Table Mountain. It is 6,800 high, and has no trees. It is a mountain of the Great Planes. One person asked why I would climb a mountain with no trees … the view! I could see Denver, Bear Creek Lake, South Table Mountain, and all over!
View from Bear Creek Lake to the front range

   Isaiah wrote, “The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

No comments:

Post a Comment