Monday, January 30, 2017

Remembering U.S.

I have written several times about my ancestry on this blog. I am from eastern European and Jewish ancestry and a third generation American. From time to time (often in January) I look back into my ancestry to see if there are any new records or discoveries. The stories of my family are interesting as they capture the difficulty of immigration and assimilation into a new country. The United States is built on the strength and determination of immigrants.
Immigration Hall at Ellis Island in New York
I am amazed at how often people in our nation forget (or do not care) about the heritage of our nation. Foreigners face many problems including intense persecution and vetting. I have personally faced some of this and hear stories about discrimination from within my family. But my family was strong and we survived and have did well in a new land despite, or possibly because of the hardships. Because when you face difficulty it forces you to work harder in order to overcome.
Ellis Island in New York Harbor
The first immigrants to this nation faced many difficulties. These difficulties are recorded in history. The Pilgrims (of Thanksgiving fame) immigrated to a new land in order to escape systematic persecutions and imprisonments. Many of the first settlers in Virginia were tradesmen who sought to better themselves by finding either treasure or a new life. The colony of Georgia was founded by debtors who came to America for a fresh start. In all three cases most of the settlers died in the first two years. The persistence of those who died and those who lived have encouraged Americans for generations. These founders of our nation worked hard to established strong communities which survive even to this day.
My Grandfather saw these buildings in the lat 1890's
As I researched my family I visited the Tenement Museum in New York City. We learned how lower Manhattan was populated by waves of Italian, Irish, German, Jewish and Chinese immigrants. These families were poor. Some were persecuted. All of them were able to find a way to cross the ocean to America. And once in the United States they contributed to our greatness as a nation. These poor immigrants, many from non-Christian faiths became leaders in the real estate, food, energy, space, education and banking industries.
Solomon Tobachnikof and ship log. Also Yankel Levine
My grandparents came to the United States in this time period. Simon Tobachnikof sold clothing and later was involved in the real estate market (as was uncle Abe). Ben Finkelstein was worked in the garment industry. The Schulmans were leather workers and later owned restaurants in Cincinnati.
Many immigrants have come to escape hardship or to find a new life. Our President’s grandfather came from Germany in this time period. Ivanka Kushner’s in-laws were eastern European survivors of the concentration camps. The United States of that time welcomed refugees.
The New Testament teaches God is love - 1 John 4:8
Because of my connection with the past I have been given opportunity to connect with immigrants of the present. I have ministered to people from Mexico, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Colombia. Some of these people are legal, others illegal. All of these people contributed to our economy, many I knew worked in agricultural and construction. I have attempted to assist the illegal internationals in their effort to become legal, only to find the wall insurmountable for many who have helped the state of North Carolina prosper.
Many immigrants have lived in lower Manhattan
I have worked with Chinese and South Korean immigrants. I also know Palestinians who seek to live peaceful lives with all others in the United States. The struggles and dreams of many immigrants are similar to my grandparent’s struggles and dreams.
The Statue of Liberty welcomes immigrants to our shores

In time periods when our doors are open to immigration the United States flourishes. During times of isolation our economy suffers. Immigrants are the new customers who shop at our stores, join our workforce and purchase homes in our communities. They proudly desire to join our ranks through the immigration and naturalization process if we provide them opportunity through a well planned pathway. When we make the process difficult or impossible through poor planning, spontaneous decisions (or orders) the result is confusion, closed doors, distrust and illegalities. I pray for our government and a plan that will bring clarity rather than confusion. I look forward to a time when we will help persecuted peoples assimilate rather into our land with an absence of hate. From the very beginning every wave of immigrants has brought greatness. I look forward to the next wave which will make us great … again.

1 comment:

  1. Immigration is only political for people who have forgotten their heritage.

    ReplyDelete