Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Discover Meaning in Israel

For all of my life, since the time I was quite young, I have heard stories about the land of Israel.  These stories have come from teachers in Sunday school, ministers and family friends. When I grew up, I taught Bible lessons shared out of quarterlies about what life must have been like for people we read about in the Bible. These stories had meaning, but they could have meant more.
Throughout my first thirty years of ministry opportunities came to visit Israel, but I stayed at home. Reasons I told myself I didn’t travel included: I did not have the money, I did not have the time, and my family would not want me to be away. But I wish I would have traveled to the Holy Land sooner.
On my first trip to Israel, I found I had many false impressions of the land. I identified too much of what the Bible said to what I had personally experienced. I saw the land as heavily wooded (as the eastern United States) and I believed travel in the Bible covered great distances. I found that neither of these perceptions were true.
The Bible has always been important to me, and so I always study to make sure I can share accurately the words of Scripture. When I journeyed to Israel, however, I discovered many new things. I saw first hand the places where people lived. I walked with a guide who pointed out how the land itself shaped events I had but read about. I tasted the food and experienced the life of the people.
I traveled along roads in Jerusalem used by Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and King David. I hiked in the desert and rode a camel in regions traveled by Moses. I walked in the footsteps of Jesus along the shores of the sea of Galilee. In all of this, I thought about the people of the Bible and Bible lessons.
Then came the realization: it was here! That happens to almost everyone. At first they plan and go on a trip. People have their own preconceived notions of what it will be like, until the land and the Lord grips them. They realize for the first time: “this is the very place!” It happened to me and it is an indescribable experience.
Because of my trips to Israel, I am different. The people and stories have a fresh meaning. The words of scripture have taken on a new life. As I talk to people, whether telling about my trip or stories from the Scripture, I visualize the things I am saying. I teach and tell the stories I have known for a lifetime with new details because I have been there.
I love the land of Israel and its people. I want to share this passion with you on a journey I will take during the month of May 2018. Will you come with me? Please click the link to learn the details and to sign up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment