Friday, January 6, 2017

Israel Settlement Worries

Winds in the east, there’s a mist coming in, like something is brewin’ and ’bout to begin,” a popular quote from the movie Mary Poppins, can be used to speak about potential changes and results which could occur this year within the boundaries of Israel and the West Bank. Long-standing policies which have been in place from the 1970s and before could be overturned and reversed. Will the results be good or disastrous? - That remains to be seen.
Many have asked me for my opinion on Israeli politics and United States policies concerning Israel because I was raised in a Jewish home. To be sure, there is a love for the land and the nation which goes back to the fact that I was inculturated with the pride bursting forth from my people during the early years of Israel’s new-found independence. I learned about the land in Temple, I planted trees every year, and I heard glowing testimonies from people who visited the new nation.
As an adult I have studied and taught stories from the Bible and researched the associated geography, history, and current events. In 2012, 2014, and 2016 I visited Israel.  My love for the land has grown.  And as my love and learning have grown, I have come to recognize that Israeli-Palestinian relations are intricate and complex. Too many people think solutions are easy, but history should teach us otherwise.
I have watched and prayed during many of the hardships Israel faced in its early years. There were wars in 1948, 1956, 1967, and 1973. The nation has faced many other threats beyond the actual wars including shelling from the Golan Heights, Intifada, Palestinian uprisings, Lebanese and Syrian civil wars, and shellings from the Gaza Strip and from Iraq. The hostilities seem to be endless and continuing.
As I studied the journey of Joseph and Mary through Israel and the Palestinian territories by virtually traveling Israeli Highway 60, I listened to the voices of many people. One was a Palestinian reporter leading a donkey from Jenin to Bethlehem. He reported the trials of each border crossing. Second were the voices of Orthodox Jews and other Hebrew settlers in the occupied territory. I heard their voices of pride and commitment advocating their right to live on the land. I also heard the fear they feel by living within fenced compounds which can be attacked at any time. I read West Bank community blogs, Facebook groups, and municipal pages conveying the animosity they felt toward the perceived occupiers of their land. Proponents from each side are openly speaking their feelings toward each other and the outside intruders who are attempting to sway the politics of the region.
Peace and harmony will not come easily to Israel or the Palestinian territories.
And I keep getting asked, “Do you think” Obama, or Trump, or someone else “has the solution.” I do not think any of the “solutions” offered today by politicians will solve the problem. I think some forced solutions will make things worse.
In my studies I have read journals from pilgrims who traversed the “Promised Land” during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The hostilities which we see today were either nonexistent or minimal during these former times. I wish we could return to more peaceful times when a traveler could visit the land. But during my lifetime, I am sure that we will not.
Some of the problems are racial or cultural. Other problems are political, created when artificial lines have been drawn giving this group or that group primary rights over a region of the land. The problems are compounded when outsiders pit the people of the land against one another.
Can peace come to Israel? I believe it can. But it will not come quickly.
Peace between groups with differences comes through the passing of time, often many years, decades, or generations. It comes when opposing parties begin to talk, learn names, listen to and comprehend the other party's ideas, and when they begin to see the other side as actual people rather than faceless and nameless opponents. During the first stage of interaction, solutions are not put forth. The agenda is for opposing parties to begin talking and then to understand that they are talking to people who have families, desires, and emotions just like them.
We experimented with such a solution to similar problems within the United States during the Civil Rights era. Racial groups met and worked alongside members of another race. Their children went to school together, and in time they moved into communities together. Change did not come easily, but it did come. Today people of different races are friends with one another and care for each other.
The same model can be used in Israel. As Palestinians, Orthodox Jews, secular Jews, and other interested parties begin to communicate and know and respect one another, they can open the “can of worms” and talk about problems. They can take baby steps and then bigger steps until harmony appears between groups. Then they can teach others and repeat the process.
The process takes a generation or two, because animosity and hatred are not easily removed. Over time, however, people can be intentionally moved and acceptance of the other can come.

We must always be vigilant because peace is easily shaken. Animosities can surface whether it is the result of racial tensions in the United States or distrust overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment