Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Prepare the Turkey

      Preparing the Turkey, I used to be charged with this task when I worked in a church. I needed to make all the arrangements to feed 150-200 people (and later more). For me, this was less a task about cooking than about organization. And because I was good about organization, it was done on time and without worries.

     The first year I was charged with this task, I was told to enlist six people who would each cook one turkey. YES, I signed myself up as one of them, and I cooked and sliced the turkey. The turkey I prepared and the other five came ready for table service. It was great, and I could enjoy my time with people ... yes, a part of the season is about people.

Turkey Float in the Macys Parade

     I discovered over the years, as the congregation grew, when I plan to purchase turkeys, I need a pound for every person I expected. For Turkey that gives a half pound serving of meat and a half pound of waste (bone and skin). That is about what people serve themselves. If the crowd is older or eats lighter, cut the amount in half (or adjust)

     I came to the point where I could bypass reservations by using the previous year's attendance as a basis and factor in growth of the church. This worked well, and eliminated the hastle of people not making reservations.

     The other part of the church plan was covered dish ... in the first church. In some later churches, a standard fare was prepared ... sometimes with hired cooks, sometimes with volunteers.  

     Finally, I prepare soemthing else ... entertainment for the people. This can be a devotion, a conversation prompt, or something else, like pictures.

     If you want to do something extra special, order this book, and give one to each family. This keeps the holiday spirit continuing through Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment