Sunday, November 27, 2022

A Job at Macy's

    It started as a retiree's attempt to do someting different ... and a goal of accomplishing a buck-list item: marching in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

   I have watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade every year for my whole life. In addition I have watched "Miracle on 34th Street" ... I do not know how many times. From these two habits (which I blame on my parents), I developed the idea of marching in the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

   I went on-line to find out what it would take. The website said, "Parade participants are primarily employees or associates of Macy’s or its affiliated companies." I applied (note: seasonal positions open in September). Because the labor market is so tight, Macy's responded (they probably would have anyway), and hired me for a seasonal positon (November - January) in Holiday Sales. That requires I live in New York City ... because I wanted to work at Herald Square. (a person could work at a Macy's closer to home ... I just wanted the "real" experience).

   The job has been rewarding. Although I did not get in the parade this year, I did find a path to participate next year. (I will probably write a blog on that when it happens). In the Macy's Holiday Decorations Department, the amazing thing (I should not have been surprised) is that I have met people from all over the world.

   I should mention (because I would like to sell some copies of my book Advent Journeys) that I gave a copy to my manager to read. Did you know the R.H. Macy's father ran a bookstore on Nantucket?? This was his first retail experience.

   While working in the job, I found I am not the only one with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on my bucket-list. I talked to one customer from South Dakota who told me it was one of his dreams. Please look for me in the Parade next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment