Friday, November 23, 2018

Christmas Shopping

     Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Small Business Saturday, Great deals for myself, and for good friends. How do I get what I want and strategize to outdo the others who want the same things? December could be called “National Shopping Month.” Almost everyone will be in the store at least once (and probably more) to shop the sales, get gifts for important people, and to meet expectations of others.
     Christmas is a time full of traditions and expectations, but who’s expectations are we attempting to meet? I am not saying shopping is bad, but Christmassing to the exclusion of the special child born on that day misses the reason for the season. That’s why I started the original Advent Journey project more than 30 years ago.
     My Advent Journey began in a Sunday School class of young parents I taught in Wichita, KS. Through m weekly preparation I was moved to expand the lesson plans presented in the book with family activities. I shared the idea of doing something with our children every day from the Sunday after Thanksgiving until Christmas morning.
Nativity Scene
     Over the years, the Advent Journey expanded. The daily activities became more developed and included community activities. I created a paper chain that I hung by the breakfast table with a link for each day of Christmas. Each link included a verse we read together at the dining table, and an activity that would happen some time during the day.
     I added new activities and developed the plan to fit the interests of my growing children so it would not get boring. During the Middle School and High School years, the paper chain became a game sheet that my children took to school in their lunch. The plan and time together has given our family many happy moments and memories.
Advent Calendar
     I have shared the ideas with others over the years. I continue to want to share it with young families (please help me by sharing this post … and the website link!!)! A booklet of family activities can be downloaded for free from my website www.KosherCopy.com , under the Advent tab. The Bible verses I shared are also updated for this year, so families today can create their own paper chain.
     But why would someone want to take so much time to do this?? Because that is what Christmas is really about. God would want us to do this. The Bible commands us to pass on the faith (not the store bought gifts).
Great Book for Christmas

     So, what is your December filled with? Shopping and parties and travels? Does it contain time with the Savior, and sharing the faith (remember there is a difference between cultural tradition and true faith) with your family? The Bible tells us to Love the Lord Your God with ALL your heart, mind, soul and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment