Sunday, November 4, 2018

Christmas is Coming!

Christmas Tree
     November marks a season of change. Gone are the months of September and October that mark the beginning of the school season. Gone is the season of shifting from summer’s vacations to a normal schedule (whatever that might mean). Gone is the season when we can depend on warmth to return after every cold snap. We have come fully into the season called autumn, when leaves are either colored or gone.
     November marks the beginning of the holiday season. It is a time for making Thanksgiving plans and thinking about what items to purchase on Black Friday. The time of Indian Summer is upon us and we all begin to realize that Christmas is just around the corner.
     For me personally, November marked the time when the organization of a new church year came to an end, and things were beginning to run smoothly. November for me, and for the Pilgrims, and for many farmers marks a time of rest, when recovery is possible after a hectic year. But it was not time to stop planning completely, the busy month of December was just ahead.
Advent Calendar
     November was the time I planned for December. I placed the multitude of church activities, parties, school programs and community events on my calendar. But I did not stop after these plans were input into my calendar. I went on to plan something much more important: My children’s Christmas (Advent) celebration.
     Soon after my first daughter was born, it came to my awareness that there is something more important than events and more eternal than presents, Jesus’ birthday. I could not and should not forget to plan family events that would help my children understand my faith. I set an agenda to share a Bible verse with my family each day at breakfast, and also a special seasonal event every day.
Children's Christmas Activities
     All these plans are included at www.KosherCopy.com under the Advent tab. I have produced a pamphlet of ideas to share with your children, and also an advent calendar. Many of the ideas do not take long to accomplish, but set one by one, each day of december, they have a profound effect on faith (and greed). Through providing an activity every day of Advent, the emphasis is taken off the giving of presents and placed on the celebration of Christ’s birth.
     With the free resources at my website, www.KosherCopy.com, it does not take long to plan a great Christmas. It only takes a decision and a couple hours of time. There is a great reward when your children find joy in Jesus rather than “what’s in it for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment