Sunday, May 27, 2018

A Hike to the Monastery

Yesterday was Shabbat in Israel, and at Neve Shalom it was a time for settling in. Most of the team arrived yesterday, and is still recovering from jet lag. After a good night’s sleep, most of the team went to the crowded city of Jerusalem. Because I was there last week, I stayed at the hotel and took a hike to Latrun Monastery.
A view of the Monastery from Neve Shalom
The hike began with a downhill walk from Neve Shalom into the Ayalon Valley. The Trappist Monks earn an income by raising grapes and olives.
There are many grape vineyards around Latrun Monastery
I crossed through the vineyards on the way to the church.
The Burma Road was the back road that saved Jerusalem
As I was crossing the valley, I walked along the Burma Road. This road was cut from Latrun to Jerusalem in 1949, in order to provide supplies to the Jewish population of the “International city of Jerusalem” when Jordan cut off all access, in order to drive the Israelis out of the city. The road was being used by dirt bikes during my morning hike.
Olive Orchards maintained by the Trappist Monks
I climbed out of the valley to ruins which sit on top of the hill. I was told this was an old fortress built by the Ottoman Turks. It is listed on Google Maps as a Crusader Fortress.
Window (or door) in the ruins on top of Latrun Hill
The place is probably both, as the protective hill at Latrun has been a battle site throughout the history of the area. This is where the sun stood still for Joshua.
Looking toward Jerusalem from Latrun Hill. Highway 1 is below
There are records of battles fought by King Saul and the Maccabees in this area. There were battles in 1949, 1967 and at other times.
Painting in process of the Monastery
I met an artist on top of the hill who was painting the Latrun Church.
Arts & Crafts at Latrun Monastery
I walked down to the church, and found an arts and crafts festival which was crowded with people. This was because it was Shabbat.
The Church gardens at Latrun
I then went into the church, which is surrounded by gardens.
The church in process of restoration at Latrun
The church is in the process of restoration. There are no pews, but the building is very beautiful.
Two donkeys in the church yard
I met some donkeys along the way.
The road home with Neve Shalom in the background

Then I returned across the valley and up the hill to Neve Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment