Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Stories in Israel

I have visited Israel three times. The first two visits were with a tour group (please join us for a great experience!), and my most recent trip to Israel was with just my two daughters. Every visit was unique and a great experience. I could share many stories from each visit, but in order not to bore you, I am only sharing a few in today’s blog.
Find details at www.KosherCopy.com
First: A trip to Israel is a multi-day event. We will spend ten to fourteen days with several other people, several we have never met before. We will eat with them, tour with them, and talk to them. The result will hopefully be new friends. On my first trip to Israel, I traveled with my family and two couples I knew from my church. I met many other new friends. In the four years since the trip ended, several friends have visited us as they passed through the area in which we live. I have also communicated via Facebook and other means with new friends.
Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives
Second: For many the trip starts as a tour, a simple excursion. They may think that this journey will be just like any other, but it will not. During the trip sometime and somewhere, travelers will realize, “It was here!”
First view of Jerusalem from the East
I remember two distinct times when I realized a biblical event had occurred exactly where I was standing . On the sixth day of the first trip, we ascended in altitude four thousand feet from the Jordan River along several miles to the district of Jerusalem. We rounded a curve in the road and the site of the Temple came into view before us. It was then I realized, “It was here!” This is the place! This is Mount Moriah where God saved the life of Isaac, the place where Solomon built the first Temple, and the site of the second Temple where Jesus worshipped and taught! The reality sunk in as we approached closer to the Temple. This trip to Israel helped me to understand the Bible in a deeper and different way. A love for God’s word and acts which was surface before grew much deeper.
Western Wall in Jerusalem
On the second trip I had a similar realization atop Mount Nebo. A round stone marked the spot where Moses might have stood, but the realization went beyond the innuendo “might have” to the conclusion, “It was here!” I stood at the site and saw the same land envisioned through God by Moses 3,500 years before. The story is true and beyond words. I can be assured that the events of the Bible are true.
Top of Mount Nebo where Moses stood
I do not know where, I do not know how, but I do know in all probability that when you travel to Israel it will happen when least expected, and you will realize, “It was here!” Please join me on this trip.
Pool in Ein Gedi where King David stood by waterfalls
Third: On day five of my upcoming trip to Israel my daughter and I will return to Ein Gedi. On our first two tours the brochure said we would “hike in the valley, enjoy the waterfalls and soaking our feet in the cool waters.” On the first trip we soaked our feet and observed the swimmers in the clear pool where King David swam. On the second trip we wore swimsuits and stood under the waterfall where we were supposedly only going to “dip our feet.” We will do the same on our upcoming trip. I hope you will also bring your swimsuit along to Ein Gedi!
Western Wall of Jerusalem at Night
Fourth: Trips with John Delancey are unique because we do not only tour during the day, as is normal and the expected for organized tours. But during our past trips, and on this future trip, we will also take night walks. We will take an early walk to the Western Wall (Kotel) and we will visit overlooks to gain a panoramic view of Jerusalem.
Mamilla Mall in Jerusalem
When a night walk on our first trip repeated a place where we had been the day before, my daughters and I walked on Ha-Nevi’im Street (Street of the Prophets) to the downtown pedestrian mall, Ben Yehudah. We saw traditional neighborhoods alive with life in the middle of the night as well as modern Jerusalem. We stopped in modern shops to bargain with merchants and purchase souvenirs at a very reasonable price, we ate ice cream, and we saw young dancers spontaneously dancing and celebrating life (l’chaim!).
Dancers on Ben Yehudah Mall in Jerusalem
The night walk was fun, full of life, and we became one with the people who live in Jerusalem.
Mamilla Mall in Jerusalem
Fifth: During our non-tour trip this past summer, we took a detourto the village of Yavneh, the site where the great council of the Jewish Sanhedrin met after Jerusalem fell. It is said that the canon of the Jewish scripture was formed here. A nineteenth prayer was added to the traditional Amidah (the Standing Prayer, also known as the Shmoneh Esreh, or Eighteen Benedictions - this is one of the main prayers recited daily) and the Rabbis debated and set forth an idea to solve the dilemma of the destroyed altar and missing High Priesthood.
Yavneh, Israel
The historic site was nothing but a mound of dirt called a Tel. It had not been excavated and trails which went to the top were filled with briars, but we did see the place and knew what it once was.
Finding lunch at Yavneh, Israel
I asked my daughters if they wanted to eat in town and we decided to find a place in town. Only one man, a customer, spoke English. He spent his time with us amazed that tourists would come there. He was honored. Chelsea was able to practice her Hebrew and ordered dinner - and we were rewarded with an excellent meal. We ordered Kabobs, and they turned out to be the best shawarma in all of Israel.
More stories will be made in May 2018. Please sign up for this trip. The details can be found at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment