Friday, August 5, 2016

Speaking to Groups, Bible Studies and Jerusalem Tours

In my last post I began telling how I taught Adult Vacation Bible School at Fairview Baptist Church recently. The lessons were simple, and well known: Zacchaeus (little man up in a tree), Samaritan Woman (came to the well), Nicodemus (came to Jesus at night), Blind Bartimaeus, and Jesus’ rebuff to his disciples “Let the children come to me.”
The Cardio ... Main Street in Jerusalem
One lesson which captured the people’s interest was on Nicodemus. Nicodemus was a Pharisee and a member of the Sanhedrin. He was of the wealthy ruling class of the city of Jerusalem. As I began the lesson, I took my class to places I did not know existed until only recently.
Herodian Home from the Wohl Museum
On my last visit to Israel with Chelsea and Sarah we visited the Wohl museum and the Western Wall Tunnel. These tours were a fascinating exploration of the city as known by the Nicodemus of John 3. I shared pictures from the upper city where the High Priest lived. The class also viewed maps of the bridge which connected the upper city to the Temple. Then I showed pictures of our tour under the bridge, then north along the wall of the Temple. We walked on the very streets where Jesus walked, and experienced a part of Jerusalem frozen in time.
Basement level of a Herodian home. The Mikvah is down there.
I showed the class mikvah pools in Jerusalem. These included both ancient pools which had been dug up and modern pools. We learned about the purpose of cleansing, and visited a few of the pools near the Temple. I also showed how the Essenes cleansed themselves. The Essenes were a Jewish group who lived in the desert, south of Jericho and near the Dead Sea. Some think John the Baptist was an Essene.
Qumran, home of the Essenes
I shared differences between Essenes, Pharisees, Sadducees, and Zealots. We also looked at the Herodians and the Sanhedrin. I shared pictures, experiences in Israel, and readings from Josephus and the MIshnah. The class began to understand life in Jerusalem in the days of Jesus and the religious groups which vied for power. The evening tour brought Jerusalem to life.
Street Jesus walked on -from Underground Western Wall Tour
Our story the third night of Adult VBS was about Nicodemus, who came to Jesus at night. This was not because he was fearful, but because he walked in Spiritual Darkness. He wanted to know how Jesus performed miracles. Jesus said, “you must be born again.” Jesus explained that Nicodemus must be born anew through the Spirit of God. He must come to know the gift which Jesus came to give. “No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.” Jesus explained to Nicodemus how God gave His only Son so whoever believes might have eternal life. Jesus explained light which came into the world, and Nicodemus understood. The Bible tells us Nicodemus came into the light.
Robinson Arch and southern approach to Temple Mount
I desire to share the light of the Bible with Christians so they can understand Israel and Jerusalem in the days of Jesus. Perhaps the best way to do this is to take people to the very streets where Jesus walked. I have written about my desire to take a group to Israel in June 2018. Will you go with me?
Jerusalem from the top of the Tower of David Museum
Some cannot travel with me to Israel, so I want to mention a second way to take the trip (not as good, but still very worthwhile). I have put together several presentations to bring Israel to your church. I am available to speak to Senior Adult groups, Sunday school classes, and worship services to share tours of Israel. For more information, please contact me.
Vacation Bible School group at Fairview Baptist Church, Statesville
My presentations include pictorial tours of various areas of Israel as well as bringing the Bible to life for people. I want to help people walk in the shoes of men and women of the Bible so they can better understand the world about which they read.

I also share (visit KosherCopy on Facebook) the Jewish Passover (and other holidays) in order for people to understand the culture of the people of the Bible. And I enjoy taking people on a tour of the Tabernacle built by Moses in the Wilderness. As we tour the Tabernacle, people come to understand what God desires of us in worship and how we can please God.

No comments:

Post a Comment