Friday, August 26, 2016

Children & Education

As the month of August draws to an end, families across the United States focus on the beginning of the new school year. A good education is often the key to a successful life. Children are taught math, reading, languages, social studies, and science with a dose of physical education mixed in. Curriculum is developed to help children and youth find success in their careers and in life.
With the dawn of a new school year it is time to note that the most important place for a child’s education is at home. Children from the time they are born depend on their parents for all things in life: for food, for shelter, for teaching, for comfort, for security and for life.
The Bible, recognizing the importance of parents in the lives of their children, instructs parents on many occasions to teach their children. Moses instructed parents, “be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.” (Dt. 4:9-10) Jewish parents repeat this every week as part of the Shema (Dt 6:4-9). Other imperatives include Deuteronomy 11:1-2129:11-29; 31:12.
During my childhood I experienced my parents share the Biblical injunction as part of the Passover Seder: “When your son asks you … tell him.” (Ex 13:14; Dt. 6:20) My mother read me the Bible and my family attended synagogue together. Memories were forged which remain in my heart today.
Jesus, according to his Jewish heritage, told his disciples, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” (Luke 18:16-17) It is the obligation of the church and of each parent to personally teach their children about God.
All too often parents today, as the disciples of the Bible, send the children away. Across our nation churches put time and effort into children’s worship service “so children can understand the gospel on their own level.” But this brings irreparable harm, for through this act the church has removed responsibility for spiritual development from parents and from the family.
Parents kindly say, “but my children won’t understand the pastor.” Or they share their children will get bored. Some parents have also told me the truth: “I don’t want my children to attend the service, because they bother me with questions and I cannot worship myself.” The last statement is one of extreme selfishness and displeases God (Mt 18:1-10).
My wife and I took my children to worship, and throughout the years we have encouraged parents to sit next to their children in worship service. Here are some ideas to help children “grow into” worship service:
First Grade: teach children to sing in worship service. You can do this by playing CDs of music sung or singing them in the car. I would sit while my children stood so they could hear me singing behind them and follow my example. During the sermon we gave our children a book or coloring book to keep them quiet, and taught them to sit during the sermon.
Grade two: By this point children are reading. When the pastor read the scripture we would follow along in the Bible. Otherwise they had their book and remained quiet.
Third Grade: We asked the children to share something from the sermon in the car as we left church. Through this activity we were teaching them to listen. Third graders have an 8-10 minute attention span, so asking them to hear something is totally fair.
Fourth Grade: We asked the children for the theme of the message. We expected them to know what the pastor was talking about.
Fifth Grade: We began to work with them on listening for the points of the sermon and the outline so we could talk about what the pastor said on the way home.
My children learned what worship was about. To this day my children love the Lord and remember early lessons learned at home and in church. The Bible tells fathers to bring their children up “in the training and instruction of the Lord” (Eph 6:4).
One of the things I enjoy speaking about in church is how to share our faith with our children. As a Minister of Education I have studied, trained and applied time tested principles with preschool, children, and youth teachers and parents. I would be glad to come and help your church teach and reach more children. I have learned through experience that a church where the Bible is taught on the level of its students generally grows and experiences great blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment