Thursday, March 2, 2017

Philadelphia and a Jewish Cemetery

Recent news of vandalism in Jewish cemeteries, bomb threats at Jewish schools and spray painting signs called my attention to family. These events have hit too close to home. Signs at my daughter's school were spray painted and tombstones were overturned in the cemetery around the corner from where my family is buried.
David & Amelia Wolf Levine
I have never understood people who feel they must tear up things that are not theirs (and do not matter to them). I am repulsed by those who prey on little children (schools) or people weaker than themselves, and the insanity that drives perpetrators to make these attacks anonymously . I am completely confused when individuals target burial grounds in order to wound people they do not even know. If such people would put their minds into action they would realize that in all probability their lives at some point benefited by the philanthropy or gifts of the very Jewish people they have targeted.
My Grandparents

Although I never met David Levine, I would like to learn more about him. I am named after him. In Jewish life it is bad luck to be named after a living relative; David Levine died about a year before I was born. I did know his daughters, especially Adele, my grandmother. I spent many happy weekends at her home in Miami Beach.
David & Amelia Levine. Her sister Rachel Spitz is on next row
A few years ago I was in Philadelphia, thought about my ancestors who lived there and visited their graves. These family members were important to my past, and although I did not know the people buried in Philadelphia, they contributed to my life.
David Levine and Philip Wolf
I am named after my great grandfather, David Levine. David immigrated to the United States at the age of fifteen in 1875. His brother was supposed to meet him at the boat, but failed to appear. My great grandfather entered this country without family connections, and probably without knowing the English language. But he survived.
David & Amelia Levine in Atlantic City
I do not know what his early years were like, either in Kalvarija or in Philadelphia. His parents might have been bakers, because he tested bread to make sure it was fresh. In the United States he worked in the garment industry. In 1880 he is listed as a clothier living in Girardville, Pennsylvania. In 1886 he married Amelia Wolf, the daughter of a clothier. And by 1892 he was operating a clothing store in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania.
Magazine listing names of my relatives
David Levine, his brother-in-law Abe Zable, his father-in-law Adolf Wolf, and many members of the Wolf family owned clothing stores. Early circulars, magazines and trade journals list his name and show he was a leader in the industry. David was also a leader in his community, holding civic offices and giving money to worthwhile causes. He was also active in Jewish life, attending Synagogue on a regular basis in the communities where he lived.
Tobias Simon clothing store in McKeesport, PA
A few years ago, on my visit to Philadelphia, I visited Adath Jeshurun Cemetery to find his grave. In the process I met the caretaker for the cemetery. The man shared that the graveyard is full. Funding is down, so the caretaker (at that time) gave much of his time as a gift of love (rather than being paid). This makes my heart break when I think it could have been his cemetery vandalized.
Amelia Levine's Parents - Adolph & Pauline Wolf

On my visit I found not only David and Amelia Levine, but also a host of other family members from the Wolf and Spitz lines of the family.  It was a tour of my family’s heritage and a lesson that immigrants can thrive in the United States, and contribute to our country. In fact immigrants who are working hard to survive are the very people who have made our country great.

No comments:

Post a Comment