Friday, December 23, 2016

Seventeen Months and Counting

I, and those who choose to go with me, will embark on a fourteen day trip to Israel in less than seventeen months, 500 days, May 5-18 2018 to be exact. I am looking forward to this trip, and to taking friends with me! (I hope you can go.)
Join us on a trip to Israel May 5-18, 2018
As with all good trips, this takes planning. Much planning has already gone into this endeavor, which was but a dream six months ago. At that time Sarah, Chelsea and I were in Israel. Sarah had just completed a dig at tel Gezer. Chelsea was beginning her program at Hebrew Union with David Illan to dig at Dan (we will visit both sites on our trip), and it was said, “Wouldn’t it be great to get a group of friends to come back to Israel in two years?”
Eating dinner in Jerusalem
We went out to dinner with Shlomo, who will probably be our Israeli tour guide, and discussed this trip. We talked about places we had just seen, and places we needed to see while in Israel.
Our tour leader standing on the Precipice near Nazareth
I then began talking to people and thinking about when this trip should occur. Finally, in November, I talked to John Delancey in order set the date for our trip and put the details in place. We looked at possibilities and talked about ideas. Then we looked at dates, availability of flights, hotels, sites, and meals. This month John e-mailed me the plan for our trip, and I am pleased to announce a May 6-19 trip to Israel. We will see a lot!
2018 Israel Tour sites and regions traveled
Our 2018 trip will begin in Tel Aviv where we will experience how the modern state of Israel was born.  We will proceed south through the regions where King David fought Goliath and where Samson lived to Beer-Sheva where Abraham stayed. We will proceed east to the Dead Sea, climb Masada and see where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found before we proceed north to the Sea of Galilee. We will visit areas where Jesus walked, and sites further north. After four nights on the Sea of Galilee we will travel south to Jerusalem, where we will spend the final four days of our tour.
City of Joppa with seaport
I’ll say it again (and keep repeating), my family and I would love for you to go with us (sign up, e-mail me, let me know you’re interested)!
Beautiful Bell Caves in Israel
Good trips take planning. This week in Advent Journeys, we read about the journey of the Magi from the East to Bethlehem. Their trip was planned in detail after seeing the star which appeared to announce the birth of the King of Israel. They gathered food, clothing, transportation, maps, star charts, and gifts suitable for a king.
Riding Camels in Israel
Our trip will take planning. In this blog I want to help those who are going on the trip to get more out of the experience. I will be writing about our upcoming travel plans over the next seventeen months. I will take twelve months to write about our stops (taking one month to write several blogs about each day in Israel) and also write about what a person needs to take with them and how to prepare for the trip. I will also produce a travel guide for each member who signs up so they can carry more detailed information on their tablets or kindle to Israel with them. I want us to be prepared for the best experience possible!
A boat ride on the Sea of Galilee
If you are going on the trip (or if you are not able to join us but would just like to follow along by internet) please 1) “follow” on the KosherCopy facebook page; 2) add me to your Google+ circle of friends; and 3) e-mail me so I can notify you when a new blog is produced.  I will also send you updates at the end of each day on our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment