Friday, September 9, 2016

Revelation Class

Between eight and ten years ago I finally threw in the towel and accepted the challenge … My senior adult group asked me, and then pushed me to teach the book of Revelation. I had never taught this book as a class other than under the protective resource of a Sunday school quarterly.
I know there are many who can identify with me. The teaching of the book of Revelation opens doors of conflict. People have their pre-millennial, a-millennial, tribulation, spiritual, historic and other opinions. They love to draw the teacher into arguments about things they do not understand themselves.
It is not that I have not studied the book of Revelation. I have taken courses under some of the best teachers in college and seminary. I have read many books, and tried to find out which camp I belonged to through self-study. I am not alone in this opinion. Many other pastors and teachers fear to teach this book. The great John Calvin, who wrote commentaries on most other books of the Bible, refused to write a book on Revelation.
But members of my church kept pushing me to teach the book. So I forged a compromise. I would tech topics from Revelation which related to worship and prayer. I would teach the book on Sunday night and then use the topic as a springboard for prayer on Wednesdays.
The classes soon became a game as members peppered me with questions on eschatology. I tried to avoid these traps, but found myself preparing so as not to be caught off-guard.
And then I came to Revelation 12. I googled “seven heads, ten horns.” Many of the finds I trashed (they were too sensational), but two results grabbed me. The first contained archaeological finds from Tel Asmar dating back to 2400 BC. Among the findings were two clay seals with images of a seven headed beast and a myth to go along with the pictures. These stories would have been known to Abraham of our Bible.
The other article I read related to Mucalinda, a seven headed snake who coiled around Gautama Buddha so he would not be distracted during his “vision” under the Bo tree. (Yes, the snake which slithered out of the tree to protect Buddha from the elements reminded me of another serpent, which came while Eve stood under the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil.)
I discovered the Book of Revelation is much more than a crystal ball timeline to predict the future (and the second coming of Christ). I saw this book as rooted deep into the past of God’s people. I saw the Apostle John as a scholar who understood these teachings and had a message of importance which needed to be shared.
The bug bit, and I was drawn to this book, digging deeper every time.
And then the strangest thing happened. The book made sense. No, not in any of the classic interpretations, but I now understood Revelation in a new and different way. I saw the book against the backdrop of first century Judaism. I found John speaking of things he knew and experienced (some good and some very horrible). I found John appealing to friends, family and people of his faith, “Worthy is the Lamb,” and telling to receive Him as your atonement.
The book of Revelation fit the rest of the New Testament. The book was unveiled. (That is what the word Apocalypse means, to uncover so the mystery can be revealed!) The story line of the book is well known. The symbols were understood by most first century Jews. The literary methods are totally consistent with a mirror (or chiastic pattern) built in to confirm correct interpretation. And the book contains succinct teaching drawn from Tanach lessons and actual history.

No comments:

Post a Comment