Saturday, July 16, 2016

An Invitation ... Israel Tour 2018

Israel is amazing! I have just arrived home from my third trip to the Promised Land. My daughters and I visited Tel-Aviv, Jerusalem, and areas in between. The trip inspired me to share the biblical sites, the archeology, the people and their culture with others. For this reason, I want to invite you to come with me to Israel in June 2018. (more below)
Our current trip was mostly on our own. Sarah participated in a dig at Tel Gezer. Chelsea is now digging at Dan. Both digs are an immersion in discovery and learning about the people of the Bible. Sarah and Chelsea examined pottery, minerals, construction types and geology, and in the process learned about the people who left these items behind.
During the time in-between digs we experienced Israel as a family.  Sarah took us to Gezer, where we picked up and handled pottery from the days of Joshua and before. We looked at a fortress built by the Hasmoneans and re-used 250 years later by Simon Bar-Kochba who dug underground tunnels. We explored Latroun Hill, the location of many fierce battles.
Four days of our trip were spent in Joppa enjoying the food and visiting biblical, archeological and historic sites. Our time in Jaffa also included swimming in the Mediterranean, shopping in the flea market, visiting parks, and meeting people from around the world. We visited archeological ruins under the plaza at Joppa where we saw a great audio-visual-sensory presentation. We toured the Eretz Israel Museum at Tel Aviv University along with the ruins of Tel Qasile and exhibits on traditions of the Jewish people. The Haganah Museum and Jewish Independence Hall were also included in our trip. We also went shopping at the Flea Market.
After our visit to Tel-Aviv we spent five days in  Jerusalem. On the first day I visited Hebrew University on Mount Scopos. The setting of the University provides a fantastic panoramic view of Jerusalem and surrounding area. The campus has an archeological museum we visited, and also discovered well preserved tombs from New Testament times in the Israeli Gardens which include the burial site of Nicanor of Alexandria. We also participated in the Temple Mount Sifting project. Chelsea, Sarah and I visited Ein Karem [the traditional home town of John the Baptist], St. Mark’s Church {the oldest Christian place of worship], and the Tower of David Museum at the Jaffa Gate.
During our time in Jerusalem David Ilan guided us to various sites in and around the city. He told us of the archeological digs in the area. We visited the Wohl Museum under the Jewish Quarter and the Western Wall Tunnels. We viewed aqueducts, pools, and water tunnels. Our group explored local markets, neighborhoods and organizations.
Every time I visit Israel I discover something old … but new to me. The Bible story becomes even more alive as I walk through the land and hear stories which help me to relate to the people.

Join me next time
Can a walk in Israel change your life? I am planning a trip in 2018, probably in June. To accomplish this I need 45 people who will travel with me to Israel. The cost will be about $5,000 per person (start saving money now)! … Let me know you are interested … and I will put you on the mailing list (no obligation at this point).
I will let you know through e-mails the steps in the planning process. If you are interested, you can help confirm the date (June 2018), or help set another date. I will be asking along the way what you want to see in Israel. Over the next year (until March 2017) I will be collecting ideas in order to plan. Then I will be talking to an experienced tour leader who will help put the trip together. (The price and plans will be complete about a year before the trip). My e-mail is KosherCopy@gmail.com. (Write to let me know you are interested, or to ask questions).
I will let you know of other plans as they develop, such as a potential add-on dig in the land. Or an add-on side trip. As I say, what I need now is interested people (no obligation) and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment