Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Ahab and Herod: builders

Kings like to build.  The larger and more ornate the building, the better.  To show off their building projects they hold huge banquets and parties.  They do this to show off how great they are.  Rulers have sought to preserve their names in construction projects since the days Nimrod built his tower.
Solomon once wrote: “I did great things: I built houses and planted vineyards for myself. I made gardens and parks, and I planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. I made pools of water for myself and used them to water my growing trees. I bought male and female slaves, and slaves were also born in my house. I had large herds and flocks, more than anyone in Jerusalem had ever had before. I also gathered silver and gold for myself, treasures from kings and other areas. I had male and female singers and all the women a man could ever want. I became very famous, even greater than anyone who had lived in Jerusalem before me. My wisdom helped me in all this.” (Eccl 2:4-9)
In today’s reading of Advent Journeys Joseph, the father of Jesus, comments on Ahab’s construction on the hill at Samaria.  Ahab built a number of palaces for himself, including the royal home overlooking the road Joseph probably used as he traveled to Bethlehem.  The palace and other buildings were decorated with ornate ivory carvings.  Ahab was quite a builder.  He erected numerous temples for himself or for his wife Jezebel.  He rebuilt other high places, such as the one in Dan, which was reconstructed over the high place of Jeroboam I.  Ahab desire for a safe kingdom produced fortifications in Megiddo, Hazor and Dan.  He is also credited with the massive water system at Megiddo with its 260 foot long tunnel.  The Bible notes in
King Herod, likewise was known for his building.  His most famous project was the Temple itself.  Herod’s Temple was larger than any of the other, but only lasted ninety years before being destroyed by Titus.  Herod also built (or re-built) fortresses for himself at Masada, Machaerus, Jericho, Herodium, Sebaste, Antonia.  He built Caesarea and other cities.  He reconstructed Abraham’s tomb in Hebron.  And Herod built many projects around the world including Olympic stadiums, Temples, Theaters and Hippodromes.
As a builder himself, Joseph probably admired these massive projects with innovations by each of the builders.  Joseph might have worked on some of these projects.  Some of the projects remain until this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment