Monday, February 11, 2013

Passover Celebrations

Passover has always been a special celebration for me. I remember when I was young we used to go to my Uncle and Aunt’s home for the Seder. In the afternoon we would play games and enjoy being with family: my two sisters and cousins.

When evening came, we would gather around the table and celebrate the age old traditions with the Chase Sanborn Coffee Haggadah for the American Family. My Uncle Stuart would lead the Seder and add his traditional humor to the evening making it a lot of fun for everyone in the family.

When we moved north, my family continued to use the same Hagadah and celebrate Passover every year. This tradition continued for me even when I went to College. I remember my Junior year when I brought a friend to my sister’s house. We realized it was Passover, so we quickly put together a Seder from memory. We did not have a bone - no problem, my sister had dog biscuits. The Seder went well, and created an experience all of us still remember.

When I went to Seminary, I became part of a Messianic (Jewish Christian) Community. The community desired to have its own Haggadah. So with the help of another Jewish Believer and a Local Pastor, we put together our own Haggadah. Some of it came from the pattern I had been brought up with. The other Jewish Believer had grown up Orthodox, causing me to look into how Seders are celebrated in differing Jewish traditions … and how Passover has changed over time.

After graduating Seminary, it was natural to share the Passover experience each year with others. I have taken the Haggadah we created, and I have adapted and made it my own over the years. I have shared the Seder in churches, in homes of friends, and with my daughter’s friends in New York (which was fun because the Hagaddah includes a play, and we had an actor who participated). The Seder has been shared from my book, it has been adapted to be shared as a sermon (with powerpoint), one year the Seder was shared at my church with over 400 in attendance. I asked a member of the church interested in drama to direct the three short skits. She turned it into a full production … with dance and music, which is also a great memory. Each Seder being a unique experience which I always enjoy as I interact with others in the Seder Service.

Having celebrated and led Passover Seders for over 50 years, my wife said, “You ought to publish your Seder.” Which is being done as we produce AA Christian Passover in the Jewish Tradition. But a great thing happened along the way. … (next blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment