Friday, November 23, 2012

Amidah 7 – Redemption

The prayer of the Amidah lays out the path of our forgiveness. God is Holy. His love helps us understand not only that we are sinners, but our specific sin. When God confronts us with our sin we realize the hopelessness of our situation … and our need for God. We repent of our sin, and God forgives us of our sin. As far as the east is from the west our sin is removed.

But one thing remains after our sin is removed: the consequences. Eliphaz the Temanite said, “I have observed, those who plow evil and those who sow trouble reap it.” (Job 4:8) Paul wrote, “A man reaps what he sows.” (Galatians 6:7) Think it through. Sin can leave consequences.

But our God in all of His grace can go beyond removing our sin. God can deliver and redeem us from its consequences. God is our protection from the consequences of our sin.

Sometimes our sin creates enemies. Sometimes it results in losses (in relationships, financial or health). Sometimes our sin will create shame if found out.

Beyond understanding we have sinned, and asking forgiveness, God wants us to love Him. God desires relationship with us. God can and will redeem us. When we return from our sin and look to God again for His care and guidance, we can be delivered from the results of our sin.

“The eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine.” (Psalm 33:18-19)

Psalm 31 begins: “In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me. Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me. Free me from the trap that is set for me, for you are my refuge.”

Redemption is the above and beyond quality that goes beyond our forgiveness. It can be undoing the harm that was created by the sin. Deliverance can help us by eliminating the ‘could be’ consequences of our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment