Monday, March 5, 2012

My Thanks to BACE

Last week I attended the annual meeting of The Baptist Association of Christian Educators (BACE)at Dallas Baptist University in Dallas, Texas. I look forward to going to BACE. Although I do not make it every year (cost, distance, other obligations), this meeting is something I enjoy.

BACE is the professional organization of Religious Educators. Their website says it is a global network that assists practitioners responsible for helping others grow in Christ. (http://www.baptisteducators.org/) BACE is made up of Ministers of Education (like myself); college & seminary professors; and denominational leaders. I always come back from this group with new ideas and encouragement for the work I do.

BACE gives me opportunities to connect with people whom I have known over the years. It allows conversations with friends from all over the United States. Friendship with others in my field is something I need. Many Ministers of Education seem to work as lone rangers. I have found networking with others who share the same passion as I have to be encouraging. When I have problems, I know experts who can help me solve them. When I get discouraged I have friends who are not part of my church, and who truly understand what I am facing. BACE, CENC and a SYBA group have provided great friendships and support.

Recently BACE has gone beyond a network of friends, for my daughter Chelsea felt led to follow me into the field of Christian Education. It is a joy to watch the second generation follow in your footsteps. She has an advantage as a Religious Educator. She has learned from my mistakes. She has helped me throughout her life, actually serving as a Religious Education apprentice.

My younger daughter Sarah has also had the opportunity to participate in BACE (many thanks to leaders in BACE). She has served as videographer for BACE. This is a field where I feel she has a talent (see her website www.sjsimon.com). Her passions have led her to a ministry very close to my own. She is videographer for Centrifuge (Baptist Youth camp) and recently has been writing articles for the Charlotte Examiner.com (See http://www.examiner.com/religion-and-media-in-charlotte/sarah-simon)

Last week in Dallas, TX, the Baptist Association of Christian Educators presented me the Distinguished Leadership Award. I am honored and grateful. I am grateful that God has given me over 30 years of productive ministry. God has given me a wonderful family. I also appreciate friends that I have known through the years. Thank you BACE for allowing me to be part of this organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment