Monday, June 4, 2018

A Morning Walk up the Mount of Olives

Today in Jerusalem I took advantage of the cool morning air to hike to the top of the Mount of Olives.
Looking up toward Temple Mount from the Mount of Olives
After a light Israeli breakfast my journey began by turning right out of the door at the Abraham Hostel.
Rothschild Hospital in Jerusalem
I walked down HaNevi’im Street, or the street of the Prophets.
An Italian Hospital, now Israel Ministry of Education in Jerusalem
There are many interesting old buildings from the British era and before.
Shops near the Damascus Gate
I turned onto Sultan Suleiman Street, where I saw several markets selling fresh food.
Small shop with fresh fruit
Sultan Suleiman is an Ottoman ruler who built the current walls of Jerusalem about 500 AD.
Man with cart near the Damascus Gate
I came up to the wall at the Damascus Gate,
Approaching the Damascus Gate
Where an old Roman gate can be seen below the entrance.
The Two Damascus Gates
I walked through the Walls of Jerusalem National Park and passed Zedekiah’s Cave.
Zedekiah's Cave
The walls are built on high bedrock in this area.
Walls of Jerusalem on Bedrock
Vendors were setting up the market at Herod’s gate (Flower Gate) as I passed.
Herod's Gate
Then I took a walkway through an Islamic cemetery.
Mount of Olives from Islamic Cemetery
I got a great view of Lion’s Gate from the cemetery which stood above the gate.
Stephen Gate in Jerusalem
From there I went into the Kidron Valley,
Kindron Valley, Absalom's Tomb in the valley
And passed the Church of St. Mary. There is a grotto here where Jesus prayed on the night he was arrested.
Grotto of the Virgin Mary
Also an Orthodox church, which is supposedly the place where the Virgin Mary was buried. This cave is quite ornate.
Tomb of the Virgin Mary
The Church of All Nations with its ancient Olive Trees is across the street.
Church of All Nations - Old Olive Trees
I found a set of stairs and walked up.
Stairs leading to top of Mount of Olives
The walk afforded great views!
View of Jerusalem from Olivet's Steps
There was a trail through an Olive Grove where I could picture King David and Jesus walking as they traversed the Mount of Olives.
Path through the Olive Orchard
The stairs were like a road with homes along the way.
Doorway along the steps
At the top I reached Pater Noster Church, which is reported to be a place where Jesus taught. This might have been the place he prayed on his last night.
Pater Noster Church from Entrance
There was a 10 shekel charge to get in, and my wallet was back at the Hostel, so I looked from the entrance, and decided to come back at some time.
Mosque of the Ascension
I walked over to the Church of the Ascension.
Dome of the Ascension
I listened to a guide inside,
The Place where Jesus ascended to heaven - Acts 1:8
Who explained the footprint of Jesus left at this spot.
Heel mark can be seen on the left

It was an interesting walk. I saw many of the tings I wrote about in my book - Israel: Stories for Your Journey. (If you have not bought one yet, now is the time to click the link and order your copy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment