Friday, November 20, 2015

Two Months & the Road

It came in September … our new car.  At first I thought life would continue as it was; but it didn’t.  
At first we went on a planned journey to Cincinnati and Kansas.  Both were fun.  We did some fix-up and sight seeing with Chelsea in Cincinnati.  (And I am looking forward to other trips).  I happened to be there for the Clifton 5k race.  We saw where my grandparents lived, visited Jerusalem (via the Omnimax theater in the museum … we will have to see the rest of the exhibits), Saw the tabernacle at the Temple and at Hebrew Union.  And we ate skyline chili, Bagelman’s best breakfasts - and other foods.
We took the North road (I-70) to Kansas to see family and friends.  It was great to see, and stay with those we have known for so long.  On our return we visited Oz in Wamego.  We took the south road (I-64) through Louisville.  The landscape changed from planes to prairie to mountains and the eastern woodlands.  We crossed the Missouri, Mississippi, Ohio and Kanawha rivers.
For my birthday Sarah flew to Cincinnati, then we met in Beckley, WV.  We enjoyed a coal mine, and the New River Bridge.  To celebrate my 39th Birthday Denise and I bought our Senior Adult National Park passes.
After a week at home, it was in the car again.  This time to take Sarah back to New Orleans.  We visited the Tuskegee Airmen along the way, a two hour diversion.  We visited Preservation Hall and heard some great music.  Then went to church in Gulfport, MS.
A couple weeks later, it was in the car again.  This time to Pawley’s Island to visit my sister’s new condo.  We had a great experience visiting both the beach near her home and Bull’s Island.  We stepped over alligators and saw birds, turtles, frogs and butterflies.  We had a great time.
The result … over 7,000 miles!  I traveled through 15 states.  The car worked great, and averaged 35.5 mpg.  We saw gas as low as $1.68.  So, what’s ahead?  Two trips to Knoxville, TN for Thanksgiving and an Ice Skating show … then who knows.
And of course I will take Advent Journeys.  Yes, my new book: on Kindle and in print (and maybe for free if you win the drawing).  I invite you to go with me, for each day during our reading, I will put extras on this blog.  Sign up and follow for a reminder in your in-box.  We will have fun together in December as we take journeys together with Zechariah, Joseph, Mary, the Shepherds, the Magi, and some Chanukah journeys.

1 comment:

  1. You were in thirty percent of the total United States, and 5/16 (28.75%) of the continental United States. That's even better than last year's Passover tour!

    ReplyDelete