Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Retirement!

     King Solomon wrote: "In everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven." Wise words from a king with real world application.  There is a season for everything in life.
     I have found there are seasons I enjoy in life, and seasons I do not enjoy in life.  When I go through a season I do not enjoy, I get through it with the knowledge that it will end and something else will come.  When I experience a season in life I really enjoy, I find it comes to an end too soon.
     There was a season when I was born ... I am not yet ready for the other part of this proverb... It will come later ... I hope much, much later.  But when it comes, I am prepared ... and the Bible tells me after a little while, when the transition takes place it will be a good season (Philippians 1:21; Luke 23:43; Genesis 15:15).
     There was a time to be a child.  I enjoyed that time.  Sometimes I still try to slip into that time.  We watched Peter Pan last night, it was fun.  I even tried to fly, and I sang, "I'll never grow up;" But the season ended, and I did ... and it was not so bad (as long as one can remember where they came from and join the little children sometimes... To this I tell every adult, sign up to work in the church nursery, and spend some time playing with the children in the block area.  Matthew 18:3).
     There was a time I was a student.  I did not like that at first, but with graduation it passed, and that phase was over (I thought!).  Well, I guess that phase keeps coming, and I keep learning more, and that is ok.  I will start a new phase of learning in my next stage of life. (Psalm 19; Ezra 7:10; 2 Tim 2:15)
     There is a season to work, and earn a living.  I have been experiencing that season now for about 40 years (35 in ministry).  And there is a season to move beyond a normal job.
     I have come to one of the season changes.  I have enough on my agenda, I will not get bored.  There are at least three areas of productiveness in which I will be involved ... and then some travel, time with friends, recreational activities, which I will be able to do ... in this new season.

No comments:

Post a Comment